Monday, November 24, 2008

December 14, Third Sunday of Advent

December 14, Third Sunday of Advent

Is 61:1-2a, 10-11/1 Thes 5:16-24/Jn 1:6-8, 19-28

Rejoice always! Rejoice! 1 Thes. 5

Reading Paul’s letter to the Thessalonians, I hear his exuberant call to live by new commandments. Rejoice! Pray without ceasing! Give thanks! Don’t quench the Spirit or despise the prophets! Test everything and hold fast that which is good. Abstain from evil.

These are transformative attitudes: to rejoice and give thanks instead of criticizing or complaining; to make room for the unpredictable Spirit in my life; to be willing to change when someone or something calls me beyond my culturally biased thinking and acting; to test and discern my choices; to be aware and seek forgiveness and reconciliation for the evil that I do. Can I make by Paul’s exuberant call a part of my preparation for Christmas? All that is needed is my willingness: “The One who calls you is faithful, and he will do this.”

Mantra: The One who calls me will do this.

Kay McMullen, SNDdeN