Thursday, November 13, 2008

The Nested Meditation

The Nested Meditation

Do you remember that song, “There’s a log in the bottom of the sea. There’s a bump on a long in the bottom of the sea? There’s a frog on a bump on alog in the bottom of the sea?” A nested meditation is not unlike that childhood song. Perhaps that is why they speak to us: in a childlike, playful way, they lead us to surprises – places we’d never suspect.

The nested meditation begins with some thought that is sticking in my mind. This could be one of those wonderings – I think I’d like to sit by the sea all day. It could be a quote, something we’ve heard, read, or something from scripture. Nested poems are great ways to discover our own personal meanings in scripture. This is how I came to write the nested meditations for Advent’s “O Antiphons.” Too absorbed in the morning news, the December 17 antiphon began running like a screensaver in my mind: “O shepherd of Israel, come guide and comfort us.” I wrote that down:

O shepherd of Israel, come guide and comfort us.

Then, I broke that line, and extended it forward.

O shepherd of Israel, come. Guide and comfort us,

you who know where the water is and spring-green grass.

Next I copied the both sentences, broke the second line and extended it forward and began to weave my nest.

O shepherd of Israel, come. Guide and comfort us.

You know the clear water and spring-green grass,

the wolf and the snake.

I repeated that process a few more times. Each time I copied all I’d composed so far, then broke and extended my last sentence. Sometimes I changed a word or two. I continued until I found myself with the weaving of a small nest of words. Look back at the meditation for December 17 for the completed nest.

Try this, but don’t limit yourself to Advent. Nested meditations are great ways to open up your own meaning from scripture, prayer, a memory, a barely remembered dream. They may also help you draw out the meaning of some thought that won’t stop pestering you or some piece of beauty or tragedy you witness. Try it. “The sunlight has begun to fall into the trees.” “Go aside to pray alone.” “In my dream I was playing games with children.” You are sure to discover some treasure all your own.

Kay McMullen, SNDdeN